Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Blog #4  Letting Go

I really liked ready the article by Grant Wiggins, "Great Teaching Means Letting Go".  His analogy of sports and Soccer really gave me something to think about in terms of teaching in my own classroom.  The style of teaching he mentions in the article where teachers give students autonomy in the learning process is something that is on the rise, but also something that many teachers would have a hard time wrapping their brain around.  I like the concept and I get it.  You want thinkers that can think for themselves and not follow some pre-scripted routine.  I also agree with many of the people in the Chris Lehmann video in terms of teachers becoming more supportive than controlling in the classroom.  Our school is currently being infused with technology and in doing so I am learning that in a world of technology, students have to be motivated enough to take control of their own educational destiny.  We provide them with the tools and framework, then let them go out and build their learning around what we have given them.  They must be provided a supportive atmosphere in order to accomplish this.  Another great thing about this in the classroom is that this provides differentiation for all students involved as they will be searching, posting, creating, and manipulating information on content in their own way.  This is a wonderful concept that will take some time implementing but as teachers we really must learn to "Let Go".  RR

1 comment:

  1. I would imagine that the reason some teachers have a hard time wrapping their brains around giving students autonomy is due to a lack of confidence in the students. I believe "helping" students comes natural to any educator but our methods may be counter intuitive.

    ReplyDelete