Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Blog Post 6

Part 1
Hello out there!  This blog is going to take a look at inquiry learning and what it means in the classroom.  My definition of inquiry learning is the following:  teachers providing pathways of learning to students who are taking ownership of their own learning in terms of a particular concept.  Teachers provide learning opportunities to students who create/discover their own pathways to learning desired material about a particular concept and students use technology to enhance the learning.  As a science teacher, inquiry is the foundation of what scientists do to discover knowledge about things.  You might have heard of scientific inquiry.  This is a discovery process that uncovers all sorts of valuable information.  In my own classroom I am trying to do as Grant Wiggins writes in the article "Great Teaching Means Letting Go".  I am trying to provide the students with a great hook to get them excited with a concept, then having them research what it is they need to complete the activity, and then coming in at the end to see how the students did.  Were they able to find enough important information to complete the task?  If not I can come in and help them fill in the parts they are missing.  I have told the students for years that if they create or find something on there own, it means more to them than if I just tell them about.  They certainly retain more if with this type of learning.




Part 2

My mini unit will be done on either cells or human body systems.  I am not completely sure which one yet but I do know what types of things I want to accomplish with the students.  I have been teaching Life Science for a couple of years and these two topics are very important in what we do.  Usually students make strong connections with these topics because they both are important to growth, health, and well being.  In either case I would provide the students with multiple avenues for discovering materials and knowledge to develop on their on a product that would display their knowledge and learning on a particular concept.  With cells, I have students research the cell organelles through various websites, digital lectures, and other means to create a Prezi based on the topic.  Human Body Systems I divide the classroom up into groups and give each group a body system to research.  After the completion of the research, we have mini-debates within the groups as to which systems is more important to the body and why.  These type of activities where students are actively engaged in research and learning provide them with deep knowledge of the content.  This is further developed when they summarize and share their ideas with others.  Technology engages the students as well as allowing them to research concepts outside of the classroom if needed.  The internet provides the class with many pathways of learning as well.


2 comments:

  1. I like the "Letting Go" concept. I think it allows students the ability to say, " I figured that out myself." therefore making it more meaningful. Science is a subject where inquiry words wonders for a young mind. I am trying to lay down a solid science foundation so that when they get a teacher like you they are able to soar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is interesting that we chose the same topics for our mini lessons. I like your idea of having the students research the different systems and debate with other groups on the importance of each system. I guess I was thinking more of how I can do it electronically that I completely forgot about them being able to interact with each other.

    ReplyDelete